New here? Like Smart Cheap Travel on Facebook to stay up to date with new posts and information about hot travel deals.
There is nothing more annoying than arriving in your destination only to discover you forgot an essential, like shampoo, your favorite scarf or even enough pairs of underwear. Be prepared on your next trip by following this checklist and packing like a pro.
The Essential Packing List
In addition to your clothes, don’t leave without stowing away these essential items:
– Glasses or contact lenses with solution
– Camera with extra film or batteries
– Chargers for your laptop, cell phone, camera and other electronics
– Hair dryer
– An extra bag for dirty clothes
– Travel iron
– Copies of your passport and other travel documents
– Voltage converters
– Personal items like razors, shaving cream, shampoo, soap and other hygiene necessities
What type of clothes should I pack?
The answer largely depends on where you are going, but there are some general guidelines to follow:
– Choose neutral colors that will go with anything. This way, you can pack less and mix and match items throughout your trip.
– Bring clothes made of materials that do not easily wrinkle so you won’t waste time ironing.
– When in doubt, choose conservative pieces over more racy items. Bare shoulders and short skirts are not appropriate in many countries or in places of worship throughout the world.
– Stick to comfortable shoes you can wear all day without blisters.
– Leave flashy or very casual items at home. They will make you look like a tourist in most places around the world.
How much should I bring?
The answer to this question is surprisingly the same, whether you are traveling for five days or five weeks. Remember, if you choose neutral colors, you can create many different outfits out of these basics.
– 5 shirts
– 1 lightweight jacket or sweater
– 2 pairs of pants
– 5 pairs of socks and underwear
– 1 pair of shorts
– 1 water-proof jacket
– 1 tie or scarf
– 1 dressy outfit for fancier occasions
That’s really it! Adjust the list according to your location. For example, pack a swimsuit if you are heading off to Aruba and ditch the shorts in favor of another pair of pants if you are visiting Iceland in December.
Pro Packing Tips
Stuff your shoes with toiletries stuffed in plastic bags to prevent damage in case of a leak, then stow them in the bottom of the suitcase. Place your clothing on top of the shoes so they don’t become soiled. To save space, roll your clothes instead of folding them. Keep similar clothes together, like pants or tee-shirts, so they are easy to find. Add the rest of your essentials last, squeezing them in the spaces left in between the clothes.
Save important items, like medications, your laptop, passport, money and phone for your carry-on bag. Throw in an extra change of clothes if you can so you have something to wear in case your luggage is lost. Label both bags clearly with your name, and you are prepared to travel like a pro!
[author] [author_image timthumb=’on’]http://smartcheaptravel.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/female-1.png[/author_image] [author_info]This post was written by Jeanie Barcus. If you are looking to keep your home safe while you travel, consider Everett WA Vivint home automation and security. They offer a range of home automation and Vivint alarm systems to keep your house safe and sound.[/author_info] [/author]
|previous post||next post|
|Chocolate-tasting Holiday in Italy||How to Protect Yourself When Traveling|